Three Canadians Earn Web.com Tour Status For 2019
Michael Gligic Was One Of Three Canadians To Earn Guaranteed Starts For The Web.com Tour Regular Season - Image Credit Claus Anderson/PGA TOUR Canada
With files from PGATOUR.com
The final round of Final Stage of the Web.com Tour Qualifying Tournament wrapped up Sunday afternoon at Whirlwind Golf Club (The Cattail and Devil’s Claw), outside Phoenix, Arizona, with recent University of Virginia graduate Danny Walker capturing medalist honors with a 27-under total for 72 holes.
Along with Walker, finishers from second through to 40th place and ties received guaranteed starts to kick off the 2019 Web.com Tour season, with Canadians Brad Fritsch, Michael Gligic and Albin Choi in that mix. Vancouver's Sean Harlingten was also in the field and earned conditional status finishing T74 with a very respectable 14-under par total, just 4 shots out of the top 40.
Here's what was at stake during Final Stage:
• The medalist receives fully exempt status on the 2019 Web.com Tour.
• Finishers 2-10 (and ties) are guaranteed entry into the first 12 events of the 2019 Web.com Tour Regular Season.
• Finishers 11-40 (and ties) are guaranteed entry into the first eight events of the 2019 Web.com Tour Regular Season.
• The remainder of the field receives conditional status on the 2019 Web.com Tour.
Here's a breakdown of the players who earned guranteed starts after the final round of Web.com Q-School at Whirlwind GC:
1. Danny Walker. The 23-year-old Florida native showed poise throughout the week on courses where birdies aplenty were a necessity, shooting rounds of 67-65-66-63 en route to finishing one stroke clear of the field. After a standout career as a Virginia Cavalier, Walker made 12 starts on the Mackenzie Tour-PGA TOUR Canada this past summer, finishing seventh on the money list and proving he has what it takes to compete at the highest level of the game. With full Web.com Tour status in 2019, he’ll have plenty of chances to showcase his abilities.
Guaranteed 12 starts
2. Norman Xiong. The 20-year-old announced himself on the golf landscape with a standout year-and-a-half at the University of Oregon, where he received the 2018 Jack Nicklaus Award as Division I men’s golfer of the year. Big things have been expected of Xiong since he turned professional this past May, and with rounds of 65-63-65-69 at Final Stage, he gave many reasons why the hype around his abilities is justified.
T3. Xinjun Zhang, Doug Ghim, Timothy Madigan, Michael Gellerman, Jimmy Stanger.
T8. Oliver Bekker, Kevin Lucas, Brad Fritsch, Andy Zhang.
Guaranteed eight starts
12. Vince India.
T13. Oscar Fraustro, Max Greyserman, Michael Gligic.
T16. Michael Miller, Austin Smotherman, Brian Richey, T.J. Vogel, Paul Haley II, Tim Wilkinson.
T22. Byron Meth, Matthew NeSmith, Bryan Bigley.
T25. Drew Weaver, Brandon Matthews, Chad Ramey, Zach Wright, Vincent Whaley, Jamie Arnold, Rick Lamb, Brett Coletta, Cody Blick.
T34. Paul Imondi, Andres Gallegos, Jordan Niebrugge, Michael McGowan, Steve LeBrun, Yechun Yuan, Joshua Creel, John Oda, Albin Choi, Scottie Scheffler, Jack Maguire, Chris Baker, Lee McCoy, Greg Yates, Todd Baek, Steven Alker.
Click HERE for final scoring.